Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Ada Lovelace Project Reflection and Take-aways

This was a really fun project and I enjoyed presenting the information researched in the format of a video. It seems almost “full-circle” in the sense that we researched about a person who contributed to the creation of the first “programmable computer” and created a video on the history using a computer. Due to time constraints and other factors, we were unable to record voice-overs for the video. Nonetheless, we as a group were satisfied with the outcome of our project.

Interestingly, this project has overlaps with other groups such as the short story on Alan Turing and history of coding and computer algorithms. The thought process in deciding on the topic surrounding Ada Lovelace for this group was because we wanted to uncover histories of a mathematician that was not very well known for their contributions to mathematics. Ada Lovelace was a mathematician I had not heard about in any years of my learning, and yet computers and technologies alike were taken completely for granted during my studies and entertainment. I hope that as a teacher, I can give voice to many more not-so-well-known mathematicians, especially female mathematicians, to help inspire more women to enter the fields of STEM and STEAM.

1 comment:

Personal reflection for EDCP 442 and the future

EDCP 442 was one of the most interesting courses I have taken at UBC. I think one of the most overlooked aspects in learning mathematics wit...