Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Constructing a magic square

When I first attempted this problem, I chose to work with number 9 (as 9 is my favourite number) in the corner box. Here is one 3x3 square I got stuck on. I found that this did not work because I would need the diagonal for numbers less than 6; 9+6 does not allow for a number in the final box.

9

2

4

1

6

 

5

 

 

 

I ran into this same problem when 9 was in the middle. There were just too many “open boxes” around 9 that needed two numbers that added to 6 without repeating numbers.

 

1

4

 

9

 

2

5

 

 

Finally, I achieved a solution when 9 was not the middle or corner piece.

2

9

4

7

5

3

6

1

8

 

1 comment:

  1. Good! (Interesting how our favourite numbers can skew our approaches too!)

    ReplyDelete

Personal reflection for EDCP 442 and the future

EDCP 442 was one of the most interesting courses I have taken at UBC. I think one of the most overlooked aspects in learning mathematics wit...